Back Alley seeking actors for dark retelling of “Macbeth”
Auditions are Monday, March 23, and Tuesday, March 24, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Back Alley Productions invites you to audition for our upcoming Shakespearan drama
“Macbeth.” Auditions are Monday, March 23, and Tuesday, March 24, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at
the Mars Theatre.
The theatre is located at 117 N. Chattanooga St. Lafayette, GA.
Visit https://www.BAPshows.com/auditions for more information. Performances are set for
June 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 21. All performances will be held at the Mars Theatre. The
production is directed by Christopher Smith.
Set to a modern gothic style, the story details the ambitious rise and fall of the Macbeth and
his wife Lady Macbeth. Prophesied to become the most powerful king of Scotland by three
soothsaying witches, Macbeth and his wife set down a path of ambition. One that includes
removing anyone who could threaten their rise to power should it come to that.
As the Macbeths rise, the kingdom is tipped towards an uncertain turmoil, splitting royal
families apart, leaving a path of bloodshed, and tilting the world towards war and destruction.
One of Shakespeare's darkest and most harrowing tragedies, Macbeth explores themes of
how ambition can corrupt, how fear can divide, and how the supernatural can destroy. We're
looking for a diverse cast of talented actors to bring this production to life.
CAST OF CHARACTERS
● Duncan – king of Scotland
● Malcolm – Duncan's elder son
● Donalbain – Duncan's younger son
● Macbeth – a general in the army of King Duncan; originally Thane of Glamis, then
Thane of Cawdor, and later king of Scotland
● Lady Macbeth – Macbeth's wife, and later queen of Scotland
● Banquo – Macbeth's friend and a general in the army of King Duncan
● Fleance – Banquo's son
● Macduff – Thane of Fife
● Lady Macduff – Macduff's wife
● Macduff's son
● Ross, Lennox, Angus, Menteith, Caithness – Scottish Thanes
● Siward – general of the English forces
● Young Siward – Siward's son
● Seyton – Macbeth's armourer
● Hecate – queen of the witches
● Three Witches
● Three Apparitions
● Captain – in the Scottish army
● Assassins - hired by Macbeth
● Porter – gatekeeper at Macbeth's home
● Doctor – Lady Macbeth's doctor
● Gentlewoman – Lady Macbeth's caretaker
● Lord – opposed to Macbeth
● Attendants, Messengers, Servants, Soldiers
Tips on nailing the audition:
There's a lot you can do to prep for an audition, but the keys are confidence and studying
your character. Here's a few tips on how you can stand out:
THINK ABOUT THE CHARACTER that you're auditioning for: what is their background, their
personality, their motivation and goals? Ask questions about who they are and how you can
demonstrate these qualities in body language, inflection, and performance.
DRESS NICE, BUT COMFORTABLY: First impressions are important but make sure you
STUDY THE MATERIAL in a quiet place, and really take the time to understand the material.
STUDY THE EMOTIONAL RANGE of the scene, and be prepared to show diversity. Don't
oversimplify emotions. You can blend angry and happy, sad and optimistic. There's a lot of
choices to make. Speaking of which...
MAKE CLEAR CHOICES: Know what you want to do and do it. If you're confused about
what your character is doing it shows. The people who audition with a clear understanding of
who they are and what they want tend to stand out.
BE CONFIDENT: We all get nervous before an audition, but Back Alley will do our best to
make you comfortable during the audition process. Confidence is key to landing the role you
want. We hope you'll be excited, not anxious, and your passion for theatre will make you
break away from the crowd.
Auditions are Monday, March 23, and Tuesday, March 24, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at
the Mars Theatre.